SILICON CARBIDE PERFORMANCE
FOR THE PRICE OF SILICON
Delivering efficiency benefits in:
ADVANTAGES OF SILICON CARBIDE
IN POWER ELECTRONICS
SILICON CARBIDE DEVICES ENABLE:
SiC can sustain much higher voltages (almost 10 times) compared to silicon.
- Devices can be shrunk in size reducing the resistive losses
- Fewer SiC switches in series are required in high voltage applications
- Reduces system complexity and cost whilst improving reliability
SiC can carry much higher currents (almost 5 times) compared to silicon.
- Reduces the area of devices
- Reduces the parasitic capacitance
SIC can operate up to 400°C compared to 150°C for silicon.
- Reduces cooling costs and complexity
HIGHER THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY
SiC has a much higher thermal conductivity (roughly 3 times) compared to silicon.
- Heat is conducted away much more effectively
- Greatly reduces complexity of cooling systems
- Significant reduction in cost and size
Power devices made from SiC can switch roughly 10 times faster than those made from silicon.
- Power conversion circuits operate faster
- Much smaller energy storage capacitors and inductors
- Smaller, cheaper and more efficient system
HIGHER ENERGY BAND GAP
SiC has a higher energy band gap than silicon.
- More robust (hardened) against disturbances such as heat, radiation or intense electromagnetic fields
- Very useful in sensor and military applications
ADVANTAGES OF CUBIC
SiC for LEDs
USING ANVIL SEMICONDUCTORS’ 3C-SIC ON SILICON AS A SUBSTRATE FOR LEDS HAS THE POTENTIAL TO DELIVER
- Enables use of Silicon substrates
- Overcomes the lattice and thermal expansion mismatches between GaN and silicon
- Allows use of larger wafers
- Reduced dislocation density reduces recombination and increases efficiency
- Cubic GaN reduces or eliminates internal fields so increasing efficiency
HIGH INTENSITY LIGHT
- Cubic GaN increases efficiency and reduces droop – reduction in efficiency with higher current- so enabling high intensity LEDs
WARM WHITE LIGHT
- Cubic GaN overcomes the “green gap” – significantly lower efficiency in the green wavelength.
- Enables warm white light by colour mixing of efficient RGB LEDs
INCREASED EFFICIENCY FOR LCDS AND DISPLAYS
- High efficiency across the full visible spectrum enables use in displays
- Cubic GaN enables production of polarised light for use in LCDs negating need for polariser with high losses